Monday, January 24, 2011

My mom always said, "trash in, trash out"

Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
Proverbs 4:23

I am very careful about what my kids see, hear and do. I want to protect their little hearts and minds. I'm their mom, that's my job. My sis and I had a conversation a while back about how you can't "un-see" or "un-hear" things so it's better to take our time when it comes to exposing our kids to things. My oldest has a very sensitive heart and my middle is not one who enjoys being scared. (I don't either!!) No tv show is considered totally safe to me. I don't turn on cartoons and walk away. I am responsible for what they hear and see! It's my job to protect them!
So, why don't I censor what I see and hear? I don't go around looking for trash to view, but I don't tend to shut off the tv if something comes on.... GUARD YOUR HEART, FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO FLOWS FROM IT. It's time for me to set my mind upon things that are GOOD, PURE. Things that have real value, not just entertainment. I love movies, I love getting lost in a good movie or show, but I need to ask myself, "Am I guarding my heart?"
One of my kids' favorite songs is one my mom taught me years ago,
"Oh, Be careful little eyes what you see! Oh, Be careful little eyes what you see! For the Father up above is looking down with love, so be careful little eyes what you see!"
It goes on to do, "Be careful little mouth what you say", "Be careful little ears what you hear" and so on.
I know that I tend to be more calm, more patient, more "Supermom" if I am spending time with the Lord and setting my heart and mind on Him.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for protecting the hearts of my grandchildren and your own heart as well. We never outgrow the need to guard our hearts. I'm so glad we have the help of the Holy Spirit in guarding our hearts and minds. Thank You, God!

    ReplyDelete