Wednesday, March 23, 2011

This photo session got me thinking!

J&A engagement photo:
I had an engagement session today with a gorgeous couple. Young, beautiful and so in love! It reminded me of what it felt like to be engaged and the excitement! You know that time in life where you feel like you're floating in a bubble! A love bubble that only the two of you live in?? It also reminded me of the advice we got... some good, some bad. I remember people saying that the first year is awful, so much to adjust to, so difficult. We were constantly warned about getting married young... "can't you wait till you get done with college?!" "You're just so young! It will be hard!"
It scared me... not enough to wait on marrying the love of my life, but still! I remember a guy cracking jokes about how all the romance and fun is gone the minute you get married and even worse when you have kids. Some of the worst advice we got was from people from church and fellow believers. I think people's intentions are good... hopefully.
But the truth is this: (and I told this to J&A from the photo session) It DOESN'T HAVE to be that way. Marriage is tough, it's also AMAZING!! It's fun and silly and intimate and romantic (yes even after kids people!) It's sweet and safe and should be kept that way.
So, my advice to J&A is this, Seek your Heavenly Father, seek him FIRST. Share the love you have for the Lord with each other, passionately! Be kind (even when you argue... I'm not good at this but I want to be), LAUGH whenever you can, every day. Write each other love notes, even when he/she is only in the next room.
And tell those who want to give you their marriage horror stories to stay out of your love bubble!!! Just make sure that you include the Lord in there too! (that way no one can pop it!)

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with this!! Thumbs down to all that negative marriage "advice." Marriage is what you choose to make it, and it is amazing as long as Christ is at the center!

    ReplyDelete